Congressman claims he hasn’t raised debt ceiling since 2005
FACT: Rehberg voted 4 times to increase debt since 2005
BILLINGS, Mont. – Using his own set of facts, Congressman Dennis Rehberg is running from his record of voting to raise the national debt ceiling ten times during his 12 years in Congress.
Rehberg this week told a Montana radio station: “I essentially haven’t raised the debt ceiling since 2005.” [Voices of Montana, 7/2/2012]
Rehberg, in fact, cast four votes to increase the debt ceiling since 2005—twice just last year. He voted for six other debt increases before 2005. And America’s debt is now $15 trillion.
“After 12 years in Congress, Dennis Rehberg has voted 10 votes to raise our nation’s debt ceiling—all while protecting tax breaks for millionaires and corporations that ship jobs overseas,” said Montanans for Tester spokesman Aaron Murphy. “Congressman Rehberg has forgotten who he’s supposed to work for. His irresponsible record, and his unfaithful relationship with the truth, hurts Montana.”
This isn’t Rehberg’s first attempt to mislead Montanans about his record of increasing debt in Congress.
In May, on KUFM radio, Rehberg falsely claimed he “didn’t vote to increase the debt ceiling.” [KUFM Radio, 5/24/2011]
During his years in Congress, Rehberg also broke his promise to Montanans, voting five times to raise his own pay.
During 12 years in Congress, Dennis Rehberg voted to increase the debt ceiling 10 times:
10. Rehberg Voted to Increase Debt Limit by $2.5 Trillion in Short-Term Partisan Plan. [S. 627, Vote #677,7/29/2011]
9. Rehberg Voted to Increase Debt Limit With Restrictions That Would Force Deep Cuts in Medicare and Social Security. [HR 2560, Vote #606, 7/19/2011]
8. Rehberg Voted for Budget That Increased Debt Limit to $9.6 Trillion. [HCR376, Vote #158, 5/18/06]
7. Rehberg Voted Against Avoiding Debt Limit Hike. [HR 4297, Vote #67, 3/16/06; CQ, 3/16/06]
6. Rehberg Voted To Deem & Pass Debt Limit Increase Of $781 Billion [CRS, The Debt Limit: History and Recent Increases, 1/10; HCR95, Vote #149, 4/28/05]
5. Rehberg Voted To Increase The National Debt Limit By $700 Billion [HRS 683, Vote #280, 6/22/04; CQ Today, 6/23/04; AP, 6/22/04]
4. Rehberg Voted for Budget That Increased Debt Limit By $690 Billion [SCR 95, Vote #198, 5/19/04]
3. Rehberg Voted To Increase The National Debt Limit By $800 Billion [S 2986, Vote #536, 11/18/04; Washington Post, 11/19/04]
2. Rehberg Voted To Deem & Pass $984 Billion Increase In Debt Limit. [CRS, The Debt Limit: History and Recent Increases, 1/10; HCR95, Vote #141, 4/11/03]
1. Rehberg Was Deciding Vote to Increase Debt Limit By $450 Billion After Spending Government From Surplus Into Deficits. [Congressional Research Service; S 2578, Vote #279, 6/27/02]